Any moving experience can be tough, no matter how far away you’re going. Even local moves can be hard on the entire family, from packing your belongings, configuring real estate move-in and move-out deadlines, and planning specialized services and logistics for heavy or fragile items, like pianos, artwork, or electronics.
If local moving is difficult, international moves are considerably more complex. Moving to another country can be the ultimate experience and adventure for the entire family, however, between customs, international borders, flight requirements, shipping restrictions, and everything else that goes into a move abroad, getting there smoothly takes plenty of planning and preparation.
At Clemmer Moving & Storage, we’ve been moving families, businesses, and corporations to new homes and locations all over the world. If you’re planning an international move, take a look at these tips on getting ready for a smooth and successful international moving experience.
Navigating your International Move
There are many factors that go into international moving. The best way to handle them all is to focus on the importance of being prepared. The better you can plan ahead, the more likely you are set to handle any issues that arise. Below is a checklist of items to make sure you are properly prepared in time for moving day.
- Get Rid of Clutter: Moving far, far away is the perfect opportunity to clear your space of the things that no longer serve you. Sell, donate, or give away everything that you no longer use, and throw away junk that is no longer useful to anyone.
- Sell or Store Your Heaviest Items: You
might love your baby grand piano, but moving one overseas just isn’t
practical. This also goes for heavy household appliances like microwaves,
blenders, and electronics. The best thing you can do to save money, time,
and a lot of hassle is to sell these larger items along with your furniture or to place them in storage if
you plan to return.
Of course, if you absolutely cannot part with something, the right moving company like Clemmer Moving & Storage can help you arrange to have it shipped safely and securely, or placed in storage until you return.
- Arrange Visas: Perhaps the most important of your new documents. You will not be allowed to reside in the new country without a proper, up-to-date visa. The most common is a work visa. Make sure to get this set up well ahead of your move, so you’re not left stranded.
- Documentation: Just because it’s a new country, it does not mean that your documents like your birth certificates or driver’s licenses are not important. In fact, they’re crucial as they are a form of identification that you will need when you have moved so you can get updated identification. Also, make sure your passport is up to date, so international travel is not an issue.
- Research: Chances are you don’t know much about your new country. This is the perfect opportunity to find out everything you can about your new stomping grounds. Learn about the culture, business locations, hospitals, embassies, and where to go have fun.
- Compare Moving Costs: Having the right professional international mover can mean the difference between an exciting, enjoyable adventure and a chaotic, disastrous journey. Take time to research moving companies online, checking reviews, ratings from the BBB and Angie’s List, and to compare costs.
Partnering with Clemmer Moving & Storage
Planning an international move can be an extremely complicated endeavor. At Clemmer Moving & Storage, our Philadelphia movers are experts in planning smooth and successful moves in Pennsylvania, along with the East Coast, throughout the country, and around the world. As one of Allied International’s team of long-distance moving companies, our dedicated team is proud to offer our customers with the state-of-the-art resources to make any international relocation project and would be glad to help you make the most out of your experience.
All of our international moving customers benefit from the following when they partner with us:
- Specialized export packing and crating
- Arrangements for drayage, steamship lines, rail carriers, airlines
- Online shipment tracking
- Proven 20-step process for a hassle-free move
- Short- and long-term storage
- Claims filed directly with Allied for quick and easy processing
Ready to get started planning the perfect international move? Give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional moving services, or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation and pricing estimate today.
Subscribe to Clemmer Moving & Storage's Blog